España, Málaga, Archidona-Ronda-Teba—Registros Civiles, 1841–1874
General Indexing Instructions
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or a locality is written with an international character, such as the accented "é" in José, please insert the character by doing the following:
- In the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Select the letter you want to insert by clicking on it.
- Click the International characters icon (a square with an ñ in it) in the menu bar above the data entry area, and select the letter you want to insert.
Corrected or Crossed-Out Information
- When information was crossed out and then replaced, type the new data in the appropriate fields.
- When information was crossed out, not replaced, and can be read, type the crossed-out information.
- When information was crossed out, not replaced, and cannot be read, mark the field as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+U.
- When every entry on a record cannot be read, mark the entire record as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+Shift+U.
- If a "<Required>" field contains a descriptive word such as "desconocido" (unknown), press Ctrl+B to mark this field as blank.
- If a field that is not required contains a descriptive word such as "desconocido" (unknown), press Tab to skip this field.
- Do not type periods, commas, parentheses, or semicolons after initials, abbreviations, or between multiple levels of localities for any of the fields.
- Ditto marks, or similar signs of repetition, may be found in several fields. If a record contains any of these signs, type the information from the previous field or image.
- A lookup list is a list of names, places, or terms that you can use to help decipher the information for a specific field. All fields with a lookup list will have a down arrow at the right side of the field once you have selected the field for data entry.
- Click the down arrow.
- Select Lookup....
- The lookup lists do not include every possible entry. If the clerk wrote something that is not in the list, type what was written on the record.
Red Wavy Line
- The red wavy line or colored background in a field does not mean that you have made a mistake. It appears because the word you typed is not in the lookup list. Make sure the information is correct, and continue with the next field.