Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. If an image has more than one record, you will need to add enough records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
How to Index Places
- When a place-name was misspelled, spell it correctly.
- When a place-name was abbreviated and you can determine what the abbreviation stands for, type the complete name instead of the abbreviation.
- Use the lookup list for assistance, but be aware that the lookup list does not include every possibility. If you are not sure what the locality should be, type the name of the place as it was written on the record.
How to Index Dates
- These South Africa records typically use the dd/mm/yyyy format for recording dates. For example, with this format, the 30th of December 2006 would be written as 30/12/2006.
- Type the one- or two-digit number for the day, even if the date was spelled out. Do not type a zero (0), before a single-digit number.
- Type the first three letters of the month in English, or use the drop-down list.
- Type a four-digit number for the year. If no year or only a two-digit number was recorded, try to determine the year from other data on the image or from the previous or next image. If you still cannot determine the full four-digit year, type what was written on the record.
- Do not include descriptive words, such as "about " or "abt" when indexing dates or other information.
Corrected or Crossed-Out Information
- When information was crossed out and then replaced, type the new data in the appropriate fields.
- When the information was crossed out, was not replaced, and can be read, type the crossed-out information.
- If information was not crossed out but was replaced or was added to, type the most complete version of the record.
- When the information was crossed out, was not replaced, and cannot be read, mark the field as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+U.
- When every entry on a record cannot be read, mark the entire record as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+Shift+U.
- Special index cards are included throughout the collection, marked with the surnames of people on the records that follow. If an image contains index cards only, mark the image as a No Extractable Data Image in the Image Type field.