Project Home Page
About This Project
This project includes baptism, marriage, and membership records from the Dutch Reformed Church in South Africa. The records are in Dutch, Afrikaans, and English and were created in a variety of formats. Click here for additional information about this project, including a description of what information was typically included in these records.
Skill Level: Advanced
- This project is recommended for experienced volunteers who are comfortable with the indexing process, system features, and reading a variety of old handwriting styles.
Characteristics and Description
- These records are handwritten on printed forms or handwritten in paragraph format.
- The records are in Afrikaans, Dutch, and English. If you download a batch in a language that you are not comfortable reading and indexing, simply return the batch for someone else to do.
- Each batch includes up to ten images.
- Each image usually has one or two certificates, or it may show a register with up to 40 records.
- The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.