Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. Images will usually have more than one record. Each person on the death record will need to be indexed and records will need to be added for individuals such as parents, spouses, children, and other family members. Click here to see an example of how to index names on a record. Add enough records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- In the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
- Be sure to examine the entire image for records. Many images in this project include two facing pages, and each page usually has several entries. Make sure you index all the entries on both pages and not just the first page or even just the first entry on the first page.
How to Index Places
- If a place-name was misspelled, spell it correctly.
- If a place-name was abbreviated, and you can determine what the abbreviation stands for, type the complete name instead of the abbreviation.
- Use the lookup lists for assistance by pressing Ctrl+F. If you are not sure what the locality should be, type the name of the place as it was written on the census.
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or locality is written with a character not on your keyboard, such as the "ò" in Nicolò, please insert the character by clicking on the Enter special international characters icon (a square with an "ñ" in it) and selecting the character you want to insert, or:
- In the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click the letter you want to insert.
How to Index Ages
- Index only full years. If fractions of years were recorded, round down to the nearest full year. If less than one year was recorded, index the age as 0 (zero).