Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area of the indexing screen is set at one record per image. You will usually need to add records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear, asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
Death Records and Women's Surnames
- When a married woman is recorded and her surname is not listed but her husband's surname is, index the husband's surname in the Deceased's Family Name field.
- When an unmarried woman is recorded and her surname is not listed but her father's surname is, index the father's surname in the Deceased's Family Name field.
Entry Numbers and Page Numbers
- The entry number is located in one of the two far left columns of the register. If the record is for a male, the number is recorded in the first column. If the record is for a female, the number is recorded in the second column.
- The page number is located in the top corner of the register.
- A patronymic is a personal name based on the name of a father or other male ancestor.
- It is usually listed after the given name and will be indexed in the same field as the Given Name, not in the Family Name field.
- If the Cyrillic characters do not show correctly on your monitor, you will need to open your Internet browser and select View, then Encoding, and then Unicode (UTF-8), or you can select Auto-Select. Then reload or refresh the web page. You might have to follow this process more than once.
- These records are handwritten. This resource may help you decipher challenging words: handwriting help.