Read the Instructions
- Please review these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to these instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. You will often need to add records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
Language for Field Names
- The indexing field names and the field helps in the bottom right corner of the indexing screen are available in German and English. To change the language:
- In the menu at the top of the indexing screen, click Tools.
- Click Options.
- Click on the Language tab.
- Click in the Language for Field Names box and Language for Field Help and Project Information box, and select the preferred option.
- Click OK.
- Close the batch, and reopen it for the change to take effect.
Diacritics and Other Characters
- Type the names of people or localities as they were written in the record, including diacritics or similar characters that were used.
- If the name of a person or locality was written with a character not on your keyboard, such as a vowel with an umlaut, click the Enter special international characters icon (which is a square with an ñ in it), and select the character you want to insert. Or do the following:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click on the character you want to insert.
How to Index Names
- You will use two fields to index names: a Given Names field and a Surname field.
- If you are not sure whether a name is a given name or a surname, type it in the Given Names field.
- Do not index occupations, titles, or other descriptive terms that may have been recorded with the name.
- Maiden names were usually preceded by the abbreviation "geb." Do not include this abbreviation as part of the name.
- If a name was abbreviated, type it as it was written. Do not type a period after the abbreviation.
- Do not index possessive name suffixes, such as -in, -en, -s, or –ens, on given names and surnames. Index the root form of the name only. For example, if a document reads, "Sohn der Katharina Müllerin," index the name "Müllerin" as Müller; or if the document reads, "Sohn des Martin Schmidts," index the name "Schmidts" as Schmidt.
- The handwriting resource on the data entry screen may help you decipher difficult handwriting.
- To access this resource, click on the Handwriting Help icon (which looks like an inkwell with an orange feather quill).
- Another resource for deciphering challenging handwriting is available here: German script tutorial.