Kliknij tutaj, aby polski.
Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
- This project includes four record types:
- The Other record type is for any records that are not birth, marriage, or death records and that contain information related to the indexing fields of this record type.
- Names may be written more than once. Index the most complete version of the names that appear on the record.
- Do not use the inflected ending of names.
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If a diacritic or accent mark was used in writing a name on the record (such as the marks used in writing ó in Józef or ł in Czesław), be sure to include the mark in indexing the name.
- If you are not familiar with Polish handwriting, you may not recognize how diacritics were written in these records. For example, the diacritic ł is usually written as an "l" with a line above it and could be mistaken for a "t." Please take time to become familiar with the characters and diacritics as used in Polish handwriting before you index names in this project.
- Be aware that names in the lookup list may not follow normal alphabetic rules in Polish or English. Thus, the surname "Wałeski" will not be found on the lookup list after "Waleski" but after "Wazyaczyk."
- Many of the names with diacritics may not appear on the authorities list. It is more important to index the name as it is written in the record than to use a name from the authorities list. If the name is not on the authorities list, you will see a red wavy line or colored background in the field. This is OK. Double-check what you entered. When you are sure the information is correct, continue with the next entry field.
- If the name of a person or locality is written with a character not on your keyboard, please insert the character by clicking the Enter special international characters icon (which is a square with an "ñ" in it) and then clicking the character you want to insert, or:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click on the letter you want to insert.
Language for Project Instructions
- The indexing field names, the field helps, and the project instructions are available in Polish and English. To change the language:
- In the menu at the top of the indexing screen, click Tools.
- Click Options.
- Click the Language tab.
- Click in the Language for Field Names and Language for Field Help and Project Instructions boxes, and select the preferred option.
- Close the data entry screen, and reopen the batch for the change to take effect.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area of the indexing screen is set at one record per image. You will usually need to add records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear, asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
- These records are handwritten. The handwriting resource on the data entry screen may help you decipher difficult handwriting.
- To access this resource, click on the Handwriting Help icon (which looks like an inkwell with an orange feather quill).