Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or locality is written with a character not on your keyboard, such as the accented é in José, please insert the character by clicking on the Enter special international characters icon (which is a square with an "ñ" in it) and selecting the character you want to insert, or:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click on the letter you want to insert.
Corrected or Crossed-Out Information
- When information is crossed out and then replaced, type the new data in the appropriate fields.
- When the information is crossed out, is not replaced, and can be read, type the crossed-out information.
- When information is not crossed out but is replaced or has been added to, type the most complete version of the record.
- When the information is crossed out, is not replaced, and cannot be read, mark the field as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+U.
- When no entry on a record can be read, mark the entire record as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+Shift+U.
- For a required field (a field that shows <Required> in the entry area): If a record does not include information for a field or if the information is given using a description such as "unknown" or "don't know," press Ctrl+B to mark the field as blank. Do not type the word "blank" in the indexing field.
- For a field that is not required: If a record does not include information for a field or if the information is given using a description such as "unknown" or "don't know," press Tab to skip the field.
- Do not type periods, commas, parentheses, or semicolons after initials or abbreviations or between multiple levels of localities for any of the fields.
- You may find ditto marks or similar signs of repetition. If a record includes any of these signs, type the information from the previous record or field.
- A lookup list is a list of names, places, or terms that you can use to help decipher the information for a specific field. All fields with a lookup list will have a down arrow at the right side of the field when you have selected the field for data entry.
- Click the down arrow.
- Select Lookup....
- The lookup lists do not include every possible entry. If the clerk wrote something that is not in the list, type what was written on the record.
Red Wavy Line
- The red wavy line or colored background in a field does not necessarily mean that you made a mistake. It appears because the word you typed is not in the lookup list. This is OK. Double-check what you entered. When you are sure the information is correct, continue with the next entry field.