Project Specific Indexing Instructions
Language for Field Names:
- The indexing field names and the field helps in the right bottom corner of the indexing screen are also available in Spanish. To change to Spanish:
- At the top of the data entry screen, click Tools.
- Select Options.
- Select Language.
- Click the drop-down arrows in the boxes titled Language for Field Names and Language for Field Help, and select Same as Document.
- Close the data entry screen and reopen the batch for the change to take effect.
Number of Records per Image:
- Each batch contains 3 images. The data entry area is set at one record per image; however, this project may contain more than one record per image. You will need to adjust the number of lines to match the number of records on your image. To do this:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- In the box next to Number of records, type the desired number.
- If needed, click the check box to apply to all images.
- Click OK.
- Upon completion of each image a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to this image.
1. Insure that "0" (zero) is in the Number of records box.
2. Click OK.
How to Index Names:
Type the given names and surname that appear in the document.
Do not index titles or terms such as: Sr, Sra, Da, Dn, Vda, etc. The term “Vda” means widow and does not belong in a name field.
Maiden names are considered as surnames and should be typed in the surname field before the married name.
Items that precede names:
- In Spanish, when a person’s name follows a verb, it is preceded by the word a. For example, bauticé a Juan. The a does not translate, and it is not part of the name.
- The particles de, del, de la, de las, and de los are part of many Spanish given names and surnames.
If you are not sure whether a name is a given name or a surname, type it in the given name field. Below is a short list of names with the surnames in boldface.
Rafael Heliodoro Valle
José María del Carmen Herrera
José Gonzalez Campo
Fernando Ortiz y Fernandez
Leticia María Guerrero
Francisco Fernandez del Castillo
Oscar Miró Quesada y de la Guerra
Carlos Pardo-Manuel de Villena y Jiménez
Savina M. Vda de Resinos: In this instance Savina is the given name.
Marguina R. V de Paniagua: In this instance Marguina is the given name.
Here is an example from a birth record. Notice that the child's surname is made up of surnames from both the father and the mother.
Name: Jeffry Stiven Castillo Lovo
Father's Name: Julio Cesar Castillo
Mother's Name: Mayela del Rosario Lovo Flores de Castillo
More help with Spanish:
Indexing the first record of a batch: Example
When the first image of a batch begins with a partial record, start indexing at the first complete record.
Indexing records continuing across images: How to index a record that begins at the bottom of one image and continues at the top of the next image: Example
1.Be connected to the Internet and be working online.
2.Click on View.
3.Scroll down, and click on Show Next Image.
4.Index the record while viewing both images concurrently.