Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
What to Remember as You Index This Project
- Index every name on every document, including the names of passengers, crew members, the ship owner, the shipmaster, customs agents, surgeons, individuals who shipped materials, and so on.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. You will often need to add records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If you push Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear, asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
- You may find ditto marks or similar signs of repetition. If a record contains any of these signs, type the information from the previous record or field.
How to Index Individuals Whose Names Aren't Fully Recorded
- If a family member is referred to, but the person’s name or surname is not given, do not index the individual. For example, if the document says, "James Brown and Mother" or "James Brown and Brothers," you would index only James Brown. You should not assume that the mother or brothers shared the same last name as James Brown, and you would not create any additional records for the mother or brothers.
- If at least part of a name is given for an individual, create a record, and index the part of the name that is given.
- If a record says, "James Brown and Mary," you would index two records, one for James Brown and one for Mary
- If the record says, "Mr Smith and Mrs Smith," you would index two records. For both records, you would index Smith in the Surname field and mark the Given Names field as blank, since titles and terms are not indexed in the name fields. However, information in the other fields will distinguish the two similar records.
Highlights and the Ruler
- Highlights are not available for this project. You may use the ruler instead to follow a record across an image.
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that the ruler is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To use the ruler:
- On the menu bar, click View.
- Select Show Ruler.