Please Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to these instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
What to Index in This Project
- The date range for this project is 1830 to 1907. Most records in this project fall within this date range and should be indexed.
- If a record for an individual born in 1907 or earlier includes events that occurred after 1907, such as a marriage, ordination, or death, then index all the information from the record in the appropriate fields.
- If an image includes a record for someone born after 1907, then skip the record, and index the next record on the image.
- If an image includes only records for people born later than 1907, then mark the image as a No Extractable Data Image.
- If an image does not include vital information (information about birth, marriage, or death) or membership information (such as information about ordinances), mark the image as a No Extractable Data Image.
What to Do When Records Span Two Images
- Some records, such as the minutes of a council meeting, might continue for two or more images. In this case, index the event with the image on which it was recorded.
- If the principal's name was recorded only on an image previous to your batch, don't index the record. The record will be indexed as part of the previous image. Start indexing the image at the first record that includes the principal's name.
- If an event, such as an ordination, is recorded on an image, but supplementary information, such as the full name of the person who performed the ordinance or the date on which the event took place, does not appear on the image, check the previous or next image for the supplementary information. To see the previous or next image:
- On the menu at the top of the screen, click View.
- Click Show Previous or Next Image.
- In the window that appears, click the Next Image button.
- Index the record while viewing both images at the same time. (In this case, ignore the "Do not index from this image" warning.)
Order of Indexing
- For an image that includes several membership cards, index the cards from left to right and from top to bottom. Click here for an example.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. If your batch includes images with more than one record, you will need to add enough records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the images. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
How to Index Places
- If a place-name was misspelled, spell it correctly.
- If a place-name was abbreviated and you can determine what the abbreviation stands for, type the complete name instead of the abbreviation.
- Use the lookup lists for assistance. If you are not sure what the locality should be, type the name of the place as it was written on the record.
How to Index Dates and Names for Ordinations
- If the actual date of an ordinance or event (such as a baptism, rebaptism, excommunication, or ordination) was not recorded but the date for the sustaining or approval of the ordinance or event was recorded, then index the sustaining or approval date in the corresponding date fields.
- If a record indicated that two or more brethren performed an ordination, index in the By Whom Ordained fields the name of the person who acted as voice in the ordination. If the record does not indicate who acted as voice, then index in the By Whom Ordained fields the name of the first person listed as having performed the ordination.
Highlights and the Ruler
- Highlights are not available for this project.
- The ruler is available. If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that the ruler is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To see the ruler:
- On the menu bar, click View.
- Select Show Ruler.