Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Number of Records per Image
- You may need to add records in the data-entry area to match the number of records on your image. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
What to Remember as You Index Marriage and Death Records
- This project includes marriage and death records on many different kinds of documents.
- Registers have multiple records to be indexed. You will need to add records in the data-entry area for each record that appears on the image.
- When multiple images relate to the same record, index each image separately as its own record. Do not mark the successive images as Duplicates or No Extractable Data Images.
- When a single image includes multiple documents that relate to the same record, index these as a single record by finding the data for the record on any of the documents on the image.
- Some images, such as an image of two facing pages from a registry, may contain several records, but you may be able to see only one or a few of these records at a time. Be sure to examine the entire image carefully to make sure you do not miss any records on the image.
Highlights and Using the Ruler
- Highlights are not available in this project. You may use the ruler instead to follow a record across an image.
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that it is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To see the ruler:
- On the menu bar, click View.
- Select Show Ruler.
- Many of these records are handwritten. The handwriting resource on the data-entry screen may help you decipher difficult handwriting.
- To access this resource, click on the Handwriting Help icon (an inkwell with an orange feather quill).