Italia, Diocesi di Trento—Registri Parrocchiali, 1560–1800
Indexing Latin Records
- The records were written in both Italian and Latin, which will require you to read carefully to find the correct information for each field. Click here for a resource that will help you index Latin records. If you feel uncomfortable indexing a particular batch, simply return it. To return a batch:
- On the menu bar, click File.
- Click Return Batch.
- Click Give to Other Indexers.
- When you index names that were recorded in Latin, index the names as they were written in the record. Include any Latin name endings that were used in the record, and do not change the names to their Italian equivalents.
- Do not include descriptive words that were often written with the names, such as “uxor,” or wife.
- If a record includes just one date, index it as the event date (baptism, marriage, or death) requested in the data entry fields. If the record includes more than one date, choose the baptism date over the birth date or registry date, the marriage date over the banns dates or registry date, and the death date over the burial date or registry date.
- Names may have been written in more than one location in a record. Type the most complete name in the indexing fields.
- If a diacritic or accent mark was used in writing a name on the record (such as the marks used in writing ò in Nicolò or à in Nicolàs), be sure to include the accent mark in indexing the name.
- Be aware that names in the lookup list may not follow normal alphabetic rules in Italian or English. Thus, the name "Nicolàs" will not be found on the lookup list after "Nicolas" but after "Nicolus."
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. You will often need to add entry lines in the data entry area to match the actual number of records on each image. To add entry lines:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
Language for Field Names
- The indexing field names and the field helps in the right bottom corner of the indexing screen are available in Italian and English. To change the language:
- In the menu at the top of the indexing screen, click Tools.
- Click Options.
- Click on the Language tab.
- Click in the Language for Field Names box and Language for Field Help and Project Information box, and select the preferred option.
- Close the batch, and reopen it for the change to take effect.
- Many of these records are handwritten. The handwriting help on the data entry screen may help you decipher handwriting.
- To access this help, on the toolbar just above the data entry area, click on the Handwriting Help icon (which looks like an inkwell with an orange feather quill).
- Another resource for deciphering challenging Italian handwriting is available here: Italy handwriting.