Clicca qui per l'italiano.
Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Records in This Project
- All records in this project are marriage records.
- The records are handwritten in paragraph format, often on preprinted forms.
- Read through each record carefully to find the information for the fields to be indexed. The order of information may vary from record to record.
Indexing the Marriage Date
- The marriage date was written in various places, depending on the type of record.
- Sometimes it was written at the end of the record (please click here for an example), and sometimes it was written in the margin (please click here for an example).
- Review each record carefully, and be sure to index the marriage date, not the registration date or some other date.
- If no marriage date was recorded, index the registration date instead. The registration date was usually written in the first few lines of the record.
- Names may have been recorded in more than one location in a record. Type the most complete version of the name in the indexing field.
- If a diacritic or accent mark was used in writing a name on the record (such as the marks used in writing ò in Nicolò or à in Nicolàs), be sure to include the accent mark in indexing the name.
- Be aware that names in the lookup list may not follow normal alphabetic rules in Italian or English. Thus, the name "Nicolàs" will not be found on the lookup list after "Nicolas" but after "Nicolus."
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. If an image includes more than one record, you will need to add entry lines in the data entry area to match the actual number of records on the image. To add entry lines:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
Language for Field Names
- The indexing field names and the field helps in the right bottom corner of the indexing screen are available in Italian and English. To change the language:
- In the menu at the top of the indexing screen, click Tools.
- Click Options.
- Click on the Language tab.
- Click in the Language for Field Names box and Language for Field Help and Project Instructions box, and select the preferred option.
- Close the batch, and reopen it for the change to take effect.
- Many of these records are handwritten. The handwriting resource on the data entry screen may help you decipher handwriting.
- To access this resource, click on the Handwriting Help icon (which looks like an inkwell with an orange feather quill).
- Another resource for deciphering challenging Italian handwriting is available here: Italy handwriting.