Kattintson ide a magyar nyelvű verzió megtekintéséhez
Please Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to these instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. You will often need to add records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- In the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear, asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
What to Remember as You Index This Project
- Do not index titles or terms, such as Mr or Mrs, in any Given Name or Surname field.
- To index a name that has one or more variations or aliases in the record, index all variations of the name, typing the word Or between each variation. Do not type "AKA," quotation marks, or parentheses in the indexing field.
- For women, index the maiden name in the Surname field. If only a married name was recorded for a deceased woman, index the husband's surname or the married surname in the Deceased's Surname field.
- Make sure you examine the entire image carefully to ensure you do not miss records or other vital information. Often, corrections and additional information were added in the margins of records. Click here for information on how to index information that has been corrected.
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or a locality you are typing is written with a diacritic or other character not on your keyboard, such as the á in Ignácz, please insert the character by clicking the Enter special international characters icon (a square with an "ñ" in it) and selecting the character you want to insert, or:
- In the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click on the character you want to insert.
What to Do When Records Span Two Images
- If the first record on an image begins on a previous image, don't index it. The record will be indexed as part of the previous image. Start indexing at the first complete record.
- If the last record on an image continues to the next image, index the entire record, including what continues to the next image. To see the next image:
- In the menu at the top of the screen, click View.
- Click Show Previous or Next Image.
- In the window that appears, click the Next Image button.
- Index the record while viewing both images at the same time. (In this case, ignore the "Do not index from this image" warning.)
Language for Field Names
- The indexing field names and the field helps in the bottom right corner of the indexing screen are available in Hungarian and English. To change the language:
- In the menu at the top of the data entry screen, click Tools.
- Click Options.
- Click the Language tab.
- Click in the Language for Field Names box and Language for Field Help and Project Information box, and select the preferred option.
- Close the data entry screen, and reopen the batch for the change to take effect.