Please Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. If an image has more than one record, you will need to add entry lines in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add entry lines:
- In the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
How to Index Places
- If a place-name was misspelled, spell it correctly.
- If a place-name was abbreviated and you can determine what the abbreviation stands for, type the complete name instead of the abbreviation.
- Use the lookup lists for assistance by pressing Ctrl+F. If you are not sure what the locality should be, type the name of the place as it was written on the census.
How to Index Ages
- Index only full years. If fractions of years were recorded, round down to the nearest full year. If less than one year was recorded, index the age as 0 (zero).
Red Wavy Line or Colored Background
- The red wavy line or colored background in a field does not necessarily mean that you made a mistake. It appears because the word you typed is not in the lookup list. This is OK. Double-check what you entered. When you are sure the information is correct, continue with the next entry field.
Blank and No Extractable Data Images
- If an image or form is blank, mark the image as a Blank Image in the Image Type field. If an image contains only information that does not need to be indexed, mark the image as a No Extractable Data Image.
- Select the Header Data tab. (If your batch does not have a Header Data tab, click the Table Entry or Form Entry tab.)
- Click in the Image Type field.
- Click the option from the list that best describes the image.
- Press Tab or Enter.
- On the warning message, click Yes.
- Then continue to the next image in the batch, or, if there are no more images to index, submit the batch.