Please Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
What to Index in This Project
- This project includes several types of forms.
- Index the forms that show seven columns of information, including the name, birthplace, and nationality of each resident.
- Do not index census form H, which was indexed in another indexing project, or forms that include only statistical information. Any image that shows only these kinds of forms should be marked as a No Extractable Data Image.
- Numerical codes were often written in census fields. These codes should not be indexed; index only the other information that was written in the fields.
Account for Every Record on the Page
- Each census form has 10 entry lines. If an entry line on the census form was left blank or has no data to be indexed, mark the record as blank in the data entry area. Be sure to mark the record as blank in the same order as it appears on the census form.
- To mark an entry line as blank, click in any field on the entry line, and press Ctrl+Shift+B, or do the following:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Select Mark Field or Record.
- Click Mark Record Blank.
- In some cases, the census taker may have written more than 10 records on a census form. If a form has more than 10 records, please add enough entry lines in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add entry lines:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the total number of records on the page.
- Click OK.
How to Index Places
- If a place-name was misspelled, spell it correctly.
- If a place-name was abbreviated and you can determine what the abbreviation stands for, type the complete name instead of the abbreviation.
- Use the lookup lists for assistance. If you are not sure what the place-name should be, type the name of the place as it was written on the census.
How to Index Ages
- Index only full years. If fractions of years were recorded, round down to the nearest full year. If less than one year was recorded, index the age as 0 (zero).
Red Wavy Line or Colored Background
- The red wavy line or colored background in a field does not necessarily mean that you made a mistake. It appears because the word you typed is not in the lookup list. This is OK. Double-check what you entered. When you are sure the information is correct, continue with the next entry field.
Blank and No Extractable Data Images
- If an image or form is blank, mark the image as a Blank Image in the Image Type field. If an image contains only information that does not need to be indexed, mark the image as a No Extractable Data Image. Note that any image that shows only Form H, which was previously indexed, should be marked as a No Extractable Data Image.
- Select the Header Data tab.
- Click in the Image Type field.
- Click the option from the list that best describes the image.
- Press Tab or Enter.
- On the warning message, click Yes.
- Then continue to the next image in the batch, or, if there are no more images to index, submit the batch.