TRANSCRIPTION GUIDELINES for the indexing of the Minden City Censuses
Number of Records per Image:
- The data entry area of the indexing screen is set at one record per image. However, this project will contain images with more than one record per image. You will need to adjust the number of data entry lines to match the number of records on the image. To do this:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- In the box next to Number of records, type the desired number.
- To apply this number to all images, click the Apply to all images box.
- Click OK.
- Upon completion of each image a message will appear asking how many records you want to add to this image. Click OK to add 0 records.
Language for Field Names:
- The indexing field names and the field helps in the bottom right corner of the indexing screen are also available in German. To change to German:
- At the top of the indexing screen, click Tools.
- Select Options.
- Select Language.
- Click the drop-down arrows in the boxes titled Language for Field Names and Language for Field Help, and select Same as Document.
- Close the batch and reopen it for the change to take effect.
- If the name of a person or a locality was written with an international character such as the umlaut ü in Müller, please insert the international letter by doing the following:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Select the letter you want to insert by clicking on it.
- Click the International Letters icon on the menu bar above the data entry area and select the letter you want to insert.
- You may also want to change your keyboard layout to the German keyboard. See the Windows Help feature to find out how to change the keyboard settings.