Deutschland, Brandenburg, Posen—Kirchenbücher, 1794–1874
Project-Specific Indexing Instructions
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area of the indexing screen is set at one record per image. If your batch includes images with more than one record, you will need to adjust the number of entry lines to match the number of records on the image. To add entry lines:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image...
- In the box next to Number of records, type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
Language for Field Names
- The indexing field names and the field helps in the bottom right corner of the indexing screen are available in German and in English. To change to German:
- At the top of the indexing screen, click Tools.
- Click on Options...
- Click on the Language tab.
- Click the drop-down arrows in the boxes titled Language for Field Names and Language for Field Help and Project Information, and select either Same as Document, or English according to your preference.
- Close the batch, and reopen it for the change to take effect.
- If the name of a person or a locality was written with a character not available on your keyboard, such as the umlaut ü in Müller, please insert the letter by doing the following:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters...
- Click on the letter you want to insert.
- Click the Enter special International characters icon on the menu bar above the data-entry area (which is a square shape with an ñ on it).
- You may also want to change your keyboard layout to the German keyboard.
What to Do When Records Span Two Batches
- If the first record in your batch begins on a previous page (which is not in your batch), don’t index it. It will be indexed as part of a different batch. Start indexing at the first complete record.
- If a record starts in your batch and spans two images, index the entire record, even if the ending portion of the record continues onto the image after your batch. To access the information from the next image:
- On the menu at the top of the page, click View.
- Click Show Previous/Next Image.
- In the window that appears, click the Next Image button. (Make sure you click Next Image or you will see the previous image.)
Index the record while viewing both images. (In this case, ignore the "Do not index from this image" warning.)