Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to these instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area of the indexing screen is set at one record per image. Please adjust the number of records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
Language for Field Names
- The indexing field names and the field helps in the bottom right corner of the indexing screen are available in German and English. To change the language:
- In the menu at the top of the indexing screen, click Tools.
- Click Options.
- Click on the Language tab.
- Click in the Language for Field Names box and the Language for Field Help and Project Information box, and select the preferred option.
- Close the batch, and reopen it for the change to take effect.
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or locality was written with a character not available on your keyboard, such as the ü in Müller, please insert the character by clicking on the Enter special international characters icon (which is a square with an "ñ" in it) and selecting the character you want to insert, or:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click on the letter you want to insert.
What to Do When Records Span Two Batches
- If the first record on an image begins on a previous image, don't index it. The record will be indexed as part of the previous image. Start indexing at the first complete record.
- If the last record on an image continues to the next image, index the entire record, including what continues to the next image. To see the next image:
- On the menu at the top of the screen, click View.
- Click Show Previous or Next Image.
- In the window that appears, click the Next Image button. (Make sure you click Next Image, or you will see the previous image.
- Index the record while viewing both images at the same time. (In this case, ignore the "Do not index from this image" warning.)
- Most of these records are handwritten. The following resources may help you decipher difficult handwriting: