General Indexing Instructions
- When the place of death has been abbreviated, type the complete name instead of the abbreviation. Use the lookup list for assistance.
Corrected or Crossed-Out Information
- When information is crossed out and then replaced, type the new data into the appropriate fields.
- When the information is crossed out, is not replaced, and can be read, type the crossed-out information.
- When the information is crossed out, not replaced, and cannot be read, mark the field unreadable by pressing Ctrl+U.
- When every entry on a record cannot be read, mark the entire record unreadable by pressing Ctrl+Shift+U.
- If a record does not include information for a required field or if the information is given using a description such as "unknown" or "don't know," press Ctrl+B to mark the field as blank.
- If a record does not include information for a field that is not required or if the information is given using a description such as "unknown" or "don't know," press Tab to skip the field.
- Do not type periods, commas, parentheses, or semicolons after initials, abbreviations, or between multiple levels of localities for any of the fields.
- Make sure that the images are true duplicates; some images that may seem to be duplicates may have an overlay on a portion of the image that contains additional information about the records on the image.
- When images are true duplicates, use the first occurrence in the series of duplicated images to index the records.
- If the first image is difficult to read and a subsequent image is easier, combine the information from the more legible image with what you indexed from the first image.
- Mark the second image as duplicate by doing the following:
- Click on the Header Data tab in the data entry area of the screen.
- At the right side of the Image Type box, click the down arrow, and select Duplicate Image from the list.
- A lookup list is a list of names, places, or terms that you can use to help decipher the information for a specific field. All fields that have a lookup list will have a down arrow at the right side of the field when you have selected the field for data entry.
- Click the down arrow.
- Select Lookup... for the appropriate list for that field to appear.
- The lookup lists do not include every possibility. If the clerk wrote something that is not in the list, type what was written on the record.
Red Wavy Line
- The red wavy line or colored background in the field does not mean that you made a mistake. It appears because the word you typed is not in the lookup list. This is OK. Double-check what you entered. When you are sure the information is correct, continue with the next entry field.
For Additional Help
- While indexing, push the F1 key and select Basic Indexing Guidelines.