Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to these instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Language for Field Names
- The indexing field names and the field helps in the right bottom corner of the indexing screen are available in French and English. To change the language:
- In the menu at the top of the indexing screen, click Tools.
- Click Options.
- Click on the Language tab.
- Click in the Language for Field Names box and Language for Field Help and Project Information box, and select the preferred option.
- Close the data entry screen, and reopen the batch for the change to take effect.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. If the batch includes images with more than one record, you will need to add enough records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear, asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
- If a name was abbreviated or misspelled, type it as it was written on the document. Do not index punctuation, except hyphens and apostrophes when they were written on the document as part of the name.
- Do not index titles or terms, such as Sr, Mme, Capitaine, or Dr, in given name or surname fields.
- If a diacritic or accent mark was used in writing a name on a record (such as the marks used in writing é, ó, or ñ), be sure to include the mark when you index the name.
- If you are not sure whether a name is a given name or a surname, index it in the Given Names field.
- When indexing a name that has one or more aliases or variations, index all variations of the name separating each with the word "Or."
What to Do When Records Span Two Images
- If the first record on an image begins on a previous image, don't index it. The record will be indexed as part of the previous image. Start indexing at the first complete record.
- If the last record on an image continues to the next image, index the entire record, including what continues to the next image.
- On the menu at the top of the screen, click View.
- Click Show Previous or Next Image.
- In the window that appears, click the Next Image button.
- Index the record while viewing both images at the same time. (In this case, ignore the "Do not index from this image" warning.)