Project-Specific Indexing Instructions
Language for Field Names:
- The indexing field names and the field helps in the right bottom corner of the indexing screen are available in Spanish. To change to Spanish:
- At the top of the data entry screen, click Tools.
- Select Options.
- Select Language.
- Click the drop-down arrows in the boxes titled Language for Field Names and Language for Field Help, and select Same as Document.
- Close the data entry screen and reopen the batch for the change to take effect.
Number of Records per Image:
- The data entry area is set at 1 record per image; however, this project may contain more records per image. You will need to adjust the number of lines to match the number of records on your image. To do this:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- In the box next to Number of records, type the desired number.
- Click the Check Box to apply to all images.
- Click OK.
- Upon completion of each image a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to this image.
- Insure that "0" (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
How to Index Names:
- Type the given names and surnames that appear in the document.
- Do not index titles or terms such as: Sr, Sra, Da, Dn, Vda, etc. The term “Vda” means widow and does not belong in a name field.
- Maiden names are considered as surnames and should be typed in the surname field before the married name.
Items that precede names:
- In Spanish, when a person’s name follows a verb, it is preceded by the word "a." For example, bauticé a Juan. The "a" does not translate, and it is not part of the name.
- The particles de, del, de la, de las, and de los are part of many Spanish given names and surnames.
- If you are not sure whether a name is a given name or a surname, type it in the given name field. Below is a short list of names with the surnames in boldface.
Rafael Heliodoro Valle
José María del Carmen Herrera
José Gonzalez Campo
Fernando Ortiz y Fernandez
Leticia María Guerrero
Francisco Fernandez del Castillo
Oscar Miró Quesada y de la Guerra
Carlos Pardo-Manuel de Villena y Jiménez
Savina M. Vda de Resinos: In this instance Savina is the given name.
Marguina R. V de Paniagua: In this instance Marguina is the given name.
- Here is an example from a birth record. Notice that the child's surname is made up of surnames from both the father and the mother.
Name: Jeffry Stiven Castillo Lovo
Father's Name: Julio Cesar Castillo
Mother's Name: Mayela del Rosario Lovo Flores de Castillo
More help with Spanish names:
Indexing the first record of a batch: Example
- When the first image of a batch begins with a partial record, start indexing at the first complete record.
Indexing records continuing across images: Example
- How to index a record that begins at the bottom of one image and continues at the top of the next image:
- Be connected to the Internet and be working online.
- Click on View.
- Scroll down, and click on Show Next Image.
- Index the record while viewing both images concurrently.