Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to these instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Number of Records per Image
- You may need to add records in the data entry area to match the number of records on your image. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear, asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
What to Do When Records Span Two Images
- If the first record on an image begins on a previous image, don't index it. The record will be indexed as part of the previous image. Start indexing at the first complete record. Click here for an example.
- If the last record on an image continues to the next image, index the entire record, including what continues to the next image. Click here for an example. To see the next image:
- On the menu at the top of the screen, click View.
- Click Show Previous or Next Image.
- In the window that appears, click the Next Image button.
- Index the record while viewing both images at the same time. (In this case, ignore the "Do not index from this image" warning.)
How to Index Names
- Type the given names and surnames that appear in the document.
- Do not index titles or terms, such as Sr, Sra, Da, Dn, or Vda. The term "Vda" means "widow" and does not belong in a name field.
- Maiden names are considered surnames and should be typed in the Surname field before the married name when both are included on the record.
- If a diacritic or accent mark was used in writing a name on the record (such as the marks used in writing é, ó, or ñ), be sure to include the mark when you index the name.
- Be aware that the names in the lookup list may not follow normal alphabetic rules in Spanish or English. Thus, the name "Luís" will not be found on the lookup list after "Luis" but after "Luzmira."
- Items that precede names:
- In Spanish, when a person's name follows a verb, it is preceded by the word "a." For example, in the phrase "bauticé a Juan," the word "a" does not translate into English, and it is not part of the name.
- The Spanish words "de," "del," "de la," "de las," and "de los" are called particles. They are part of many Spanish given names and surnames and should be included with the names when they are indexed. The particle should be kept with the part of the name that follows it. For example, "del Carmen" could possibly occur as a surname or as part of a given name, but the "del" and the "Carmen" should be kept together.
- If you are not sure whether a name is a given name or a surname, type it in the Given Names field. Below is a short list of names with the surnames in boldface.
Rafael Heliodoro Valle
José María del Carmen Herrera
José Gonzalez Campo
Fernando Ortiz y Fernandez
Leticia María Guerrero
Francisco Fernandez del Castillo
Oscar Miró Quesada y de la Guerra
Carlos Pardo-Manuel de Villena y Jiménez
- A child's surname frequently includes surnames from both the father and the mother. You can sometimes distinguish between the child's given names and surnames by looking at the surnames of the parents.
Name: Jeffry Stiven Castillo Lovo
Father's Name: Julio Cesar Castillo
Mother's Name: Mayela del Rosario Lovo Flores de Castillo
More Help with Spanish Names
Language for Field Names
- The indexing field names and the field helps in the bottom right corner of the indexing screen are available in Spanish and English. To change the language:
- In the menu at the top of the indexing screen, click Tools.
- Select Options.
- Click on the Language tab.
- Click in the Language for Field Names box and Language for Field Help and Project Information box, and select the preferred option.
- Close the data entry screen, and reopen the batch for the change to take effect.