About This Project
- This project includes two record types:
- Birth Registrations (to be indexed)
- Supporting Documentation (not to be indexed)
- Birth Registration records will have one of the following titles:
- Application for Registration of Birth
- Delayed Registration of Birth
- Supporting Documentation may include:
- Birth or Baptism Certificates
- Census Records
- Declarations of Birth
- Family Registers
- Handwritten statements or letters
- There may be other record types not listed here
- Only index the Birth Registration records.
- Mark all supporting documentation as No Extractable Data Image in the Image Type field.
- The records are digital copies of the originals.
Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Sample Images to be Indexed
Sample Images NOT to be Indexed
Number of Records per Image
- The data-entry area is set at one record per image. If an image has more than one record, you will need to add enough records in the data-entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- In the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- Overlays, often Non-Official Birth and Baptism Certificates or Supporting Documentation are attached to many records. Do not index these records. These images should be marked as No Extractable Data Image.
- Overlays often cover birth registration records. In these cases, a separate image was usually taken with the overlay removed. Therefore, do not try to index the data from the page that is covered by the overlay.
- Carefully read each overlay. If it contains an amendment or correction to the Delayed Birth Registration, index the record with the corrected data.
- Most of these records are handwritten. The handwriting resource on the data-entry screen may help you decipher difficult handwriting.
- To access this resource, click the Handwriting Help icon (an inkwell with an orange feather quill).