General Indexing Instructions
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or place was written with a character not on your keyboard, such as the "é" in "José," please insert the character by clicking the Enter special international characters icon (a square with an "ñ" on it) and selecting the character you want to insert, or:
- In the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click the letter you want to insert.
Corrected or Crossed-Out Information
- When information was crossed out and then replaced, type the new data in the appropriate fields.
- When information was crossed out, was not replaced, and can be read, type the crossed-out information.
- When information was crossed out, was not replaced, and cannot be read, mark the field as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+U.
- When every entry on a record cannot be read, mark the entire record as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+Shift+U.
- If a record does not include information for a required field (a field that shows "<Required>" in the data entry area) or if the information was given using a description such as "desconhecido" (unknown) or "don't know," press Ctrl+B to mark the field as blank. Do not type the word "blank" in the indexing field.
- If a record does not include information for a unrequired field or if the information was given using a description such as "unknown" or "don't know," press Tab to skip the field.
- Do not type periods, commas, parentheses, or semicolons after initials or abbreviations, or between multiple levels of localities for any of the fields.
- If a record contains ditto marks or similar signs of repetition, type the information from the previous record or field.
- A lookup list is a list of names, places, or terms that you can use to help decipher the information for a specific field. All fields with a lookup list will have a down arrow at the right side of the field when you select the field for data entry.
- Click the down arrow.
- Click Lookup...
- The lookup lists do not include every possibility. If a clerk wrote something that is not in the list, type what was written on the record.
Red Wavy Line
- The red wavy line, or colored background in a field, does not necessarily mean that you made a mistake; it appears because the word you typed is not in the lookup list. This is OK. Make sure the information you entered is correct, and continue with the next field.