Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to these instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at two records per image. You may need to add records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- In the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
Indexing Names and Surnames
- Index given names and surnames as they appear in the death records. If a name was abbreviated, type it as it was written on the record. Do not type a period after the abbreviation. Do not index punctuation, except hyphens and apostrophes when they were written on the document as part of the name.
- If you are not sure whether a name is a given name or a surname, type it in the Given Names field.
- If a diacritic or accent mark was used in writing a name on the record (such as the marks used in writing é, ó, or ñ), be sure to include the mark when you index the name.
- The Portuguese words "de," "da," "das," "do," and "dos" are called particles. They are part of many Portuguese given names and surnames and should be included with the names when they are indexed. The particle should be kept with the part of the name that follows it. For example, "dos Santos" could possibly occur as a surname or as part of a given name, but the "dos" and the "Santos" should be kept together.
- Below is a short list of Portuguese names with the surnames in boldface.
- José Francisco Mendes
- José Floriano De Souza
- Miquelina Eugenia Da Silva
- Diamantina De Souza Gaulart
- Maria do Carmo De Mello Paiva
- Martiniamo Alves De Paiva
- Candida Josephina De Sá Fonseca
What to Do When Records Span Two Images
- If the first record on an image begins on a previous image, don't index it. The record will be indexed as part of the previous image. Start indexing at the first complete record.
- If the last record on an image continues to the next image, index the entire record, including what continues onto the next image. To see the information on the next image:
- On the menu at the top of the screen, click View.
- Click Show Previous or Next Image.
- In the window that appears, click the Next Image button.
- Index the record while viewing both images at the same time. (In this case, ignore the "Do not index from this image" warning.)
Highlights and the Ruler
- Highlights are not available. You may use the ruler instead to follow a record across a page.
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that the ruler is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To see the ruler:
- In the menu bar, click View.
- Select Show Ruler.