Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to these instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Type of Cards
Number of Records per Image
- The front and back of an immigration card (two images total) usually make up one record. The data entry area is set at one record per image; however, some images will contain more than one record, such as when the names of minor children have been included. When names are recorded in the section of the card labeled FILHOS MENORES DE 18 ANOS, add a record for each name by doing the following:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- In the box next to Number of records, type the desired number.
- Click OK.
- The majority of the individuals listed in this section are children, but be sure also to index the names of all persons who are traveling with the individual (including friends, cousins, and spouses).
- For these additional records, index only the given names, surname, and gender. DO NOT index the other fields.
- The surname may have been recorded only for the first child of the family. In this case, use the same surname for each of the children.
- If no surname was recorded for the children, do not assume a child's surname from a parent's surname.
- If you press Tab after completing the last data field, a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to this image. Click No unless the card includes the names of minor children and you have not yet added their names to the index.
Language for Field Names and Project Instructions
- The field names and the field helps in the bottom right corner of the indexing screen are available in Portuguese and English. To change the language:
- At the top of the data entry screen, click Tools.
- Select Options.
- Select Language tab.
- Click the drop-down arrows in the boxes titled Language for Field Names and Language for Field Help and Project Instructions, and select the preferred option.
- Close the Options screen by clicking OK. Then close and reopen the batch for the change to take effect.
Names and Surnames
- Immigration cards include names from many cultures, some of which use multiple surnames as well as one or more given names.
- If you are not sure whether a name is a given name or a surname, type it in the Given Names field.
- When you index a name, only include hypens, apostrophes, or other marks if they are written on the document as part of the name.
- Do not index titles or terms, such as Sr, Sra, Srta, V.S., Exma, Exmo, V.Exa, D, and Da.
- If a diacritic or accent mark was used in writing a name on the record (such as the marks used in writing the characters é, ó, ñ), be sure to include the mark when you index the name.
- The Portuguese particles "de," "da," "das," "do," and "dos" are part of many Portuguese given names and surnames and should be included with the names when they are indexed. The particle should be kept with the part of the name that follows it. For example, "dos Santos" could possibly occur as a surname or as part of a given name, but the "dos" and the "Santos" should be kept together.
- Below is a short list of Portuguese names with the surnames in bold.
- José Francisco Mendes
- José Floriano De Souza
- Miquelina Eugenia Da Silva
- Diamantina De Souza Gaulart
- Maria do Carmo De Mello Paiva
- Martiniamo Alves De Paiva
- Candida Josephina De Sá Fonseca
For More Help with Portuguese
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or locality is written with a character not on your keyboard, such as the æ in Kræmer or the ç in François, please insert the character by clicking on the Enter special international characters icon (which is a square with an "ñ" in it) and selecting the character you want to insert, or:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click on the letter you want to insert.
- Highlights are available for this project.
- If highlights do not appear on the image and you want to use them:
- On the menu bar, click View.
- Click Show Highlights. If Show Highlights is turned on, that option will have a check mark next to it.
- The highlights may not line up with the image. To adjust the highlights to fit the image:
- On the menu bar, click View.
- Click Adjust Highlights.
- Move the cursor over the image, and all highlights will appear.
- To adjust the highlights, click on and drag a corner of the red outline to the proper location or click on and drag an indexing field to the proper location.
- Adjusting highlights may be tricky. A key to successfully aligning the highlights with the fields is first to adjust the red outline to encompass the area where the fields are located and then to move the indexing fields to the proper locations.