General indexing instructions
Corrected or Crossed-out Information
- When information is crossed out and then replaced, type the new data into the appropriate fields.
- When the information is crossed out, not replaced, and can be read, type the crossed-out information.
- When the information is crossed out, not replaced, and cannot be read, mark the field unreadable by pressing Ctrl+U.
- When every entry on a record cannot be read, mark the entire record unreadable by pressing Ctrl+Shift+U.
- If a <Required> field contains a descriptive word, such as "unknown" or "don't know," press Ctrl+B to mark the field as blank.
- If a field that is not required contains a descriptive word, such as "unknown" or "don't know," press Tab to skip this field.
- Do not type periods, commas, parentheses, or semicolons after initials, abbreviations, or between multiple levels of localities for any of the fields.
- A lookup list is a collection of common names, places, races, etc., that can be used to help decipher a specific field. All fields that have a corresponding lookup list will have a down arrow at the right side of the column.
- Click the down arrow.
- Select Lookup... for the appropriate list for that field to appear.
- The lookup lists are not comprehensive. If the clerk wrote something that is not in the list, type what was written on the record.
Red Wavy Line
- The red wavy line or colored background in the field does not mean that you made a mistake. It appears because the word you typed is not in the lookup list. This is okay.
Blank and No Extractable Data Images
- If an image or form is blank, mark the image as Blank. If an image contains only information that does not need to be indexed, mark the image as No Extractable Data Image. To do this:
- Select the Header Data tab. (Note: If your batch does not have a Header Data tab, click the Table Entry or Form Entry tab.)
- Click in the Image Type field.
- Click the down arrow at the right side of the field.