Cliquez ici pour lire en Français.
Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
Records in This Project
- Most of the records in this project were written in French.
- The format of the records varied over time. Read each record carefully to find the information for the indexing fields.
Language for Project Instructions
- The indexing field names, the field helps, and the project instructions are available in French and English. To change the language:
- In the menu at the top of the indexing screen, click Tools.
- Click Options.
- Click the Language tab.
- Click in the Language for Field Names and Language for Field Help and Project Instructions boxes, and select the preferred option.
- Close the data entry screen, and reopen the batch for the change to take effect.
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or locality is written with a character not on your keyboard, such as the æ in Kræmer or the ç in François, please insert the character by clicking on the Enter special international characters icon (which is a square with an "ñ" in it) and selecting the character you want to insert, or:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click on the letter you want to insert.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. If an image has more than one record, you will need to add enough records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
- Be sure to examine the entire image for records. Many images include two pages, and each page may have several entries. Make sure you index all the entries on both pages and not just the first page or the first entry on the first page.
What to Do When Records Span Two Images
- If the first record on an image begins on a previous image, don't index it. The record will be indexed as part of the previous image. Start indexing at the first complete record.
- If the last record on an image continues to the next image, index the entire record, including what continues to the next image. To view the next image while continuing to index fields for the current image:
- On the menu at the top of the screen, click View.
- Click Show Previous or Next Image.
- In the window that appears, click the Next Image button.
- Index the record while viewing both images at the same time. (In this case, ignore the "Do not index from this image" warning.)