Project Home Page
Klik hier voor Nederlands
Sample Images (This is not an all inclusive list.)
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and comfortable using various system features.
Characteristics of This Project
- Three types of records (birth, marriage, death)
- Different forms used for records of same type
- From 1 to 12 records per image
- Records may span two images
- Usually 3 images per batch
- No highlights
Description of the Records
- The Belgium civil registers vary from handwritten paragraphs to typed forms with handwritten data.
- Records were filed first by locality and then chronologically by type.
- Most records begin with the date of the record.
- While record forms generally follow the same format for a given time period, they do not have spaces defined for each field that is to be indexed. It will be necessary to read each record carefully to find the information for the fields.
- Most of the records are in Dutch; however, some records may be in French. If you are not comfortable with these records, return them for other indexers who may understand the French.
- Although the time period for this project is 1851-1900, older records will appear in some of the batches. All of these records are to be indexed.
- Project Indexing Instructions: For this project.
- Additional Helps: For all projects.
- Field-by-field helps: A list of all field helps.
- Project updates: Current information, questions and answers about this project; updated as needed.
- Getting help: These training materials describe the most common situations you will encounter as you index the Belgium Civil Registrations project. However, new issues may surface, and you may have questions that are not answered here. If so, contact Jean Huysmans. He can get you the help you need and revise the instructions if necessary.
- Authenticated users will have free access to view the images from the FamilySearch Record Search pilot site. Authenticated users include active indexers, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and patrons at any of the Church's 4600 family history centers.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click Download Batch, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.