Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to these instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Language for Field Helps and Field Names
- The indexing field names and the field helps in the bottom right corner of the indexing screen are available in English and Dutch. To change to the language:
- At the top of the indexing screen, click Tools.
- Select Options.
- Click the Language tab.
- Click the Language for Field Names box and Language for Field Help and Project Instructions box, and select the preferred option.
- Click OK.
- Close the data entry screen, and reopen the batch for the change to take effect.
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or a locality you are typing is written with a character not on your keyboard, such as the è in Adèle, please insert the character by clicking on the Enter special international characters icon (a square with an "ñ" in it) and selecting the character you want to insert, or:
- In the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click on the letter you want to insert.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. If the batch includes images with more than one record, you will need to add enough entry lines in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add entry lines:
- In the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- In the Number of records box, type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear, asking if you want to add one or more records to this image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
- Fully index separate images, such as those that say "Extract uit het register der adten van overlijden" or "Uittreksel van het register der overlijdensakten" at the top of the document.
- Do NOT mark these as duplicate images.
- Enter as much information as possible into the data entry fields. Index only the correct information from these supplemental or correction documents.
- For required fields that do not have any information to be indexed, press Ctrl+B to mark the fields as blank. For fields that are not required fields, press Tab to skip the fields. (Note that required fields show an asterisk next to the field name, and "<Required>" appears in the empty field.)
- Click here to see an example.
What to Do When Records Span Two Images
- If the first record on an image begins on a previous image, don't index it. The record will be indexed as part of the previous image. Start indexing at the first complete record. Click here to see an example.
- If the last record on an image continues to the next image, index the entire record, including what continues to the next image. Click here to see an example. To see the next image:
- In the menu at the top of the screen, click View.
- Click Show Previous or Next Image.
- In the window that appears, click the Next Image button.
- Index the record while viewing both images at the same time. (In this case, ignore the "Do not index from this image" warning.)
Help with Dutch
- Project Home Page (or this project)
- General Indexing Instructions (for all projects)
- Field Helps (a printable list of all field helps)
- Project Updates (current information and questions and answers about this project, updated as needed)
- Getting help: These instructions address the most common situations you will encounter as you index this project. If you have additional questions, you may contact Jean Huysmans: