Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. When you encounter images with more than one record, you will need to add enough records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add entry lines:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
How to Index Surnames for Women
- The general rule is that if no surname was recorded for a wife, do not assume a surname from the spouse. Leave the Surname field blank.
- An exception to this rule is that if the names of a husband and wife were recorded with the word "and" or the symbol "&" between the two given names (for example, "John and Mary Smith"), the surname may be indexed for both the husband and the wife.
- If both a maiden name and a married name (including any surnames from previous marriages) were recorded for a woman, index all surnames in the surname field, with the maiden name first.
How to Index Twins
- If multiple births, such as twins, were recorded on a single line, index each of them as a separate record.
- Many of these records are handwritten. The handwriting resource on the data entry screen may help you decipher handwriting.
- To access this resource, click on the Handwriting Help icon (which looks like an inkwell with an orange feather quill).
- Additional handwriting helps (a resource for deciphering challenging handwriting).