Project Home Page
Klik hier voor Nederlands
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and comfortable using various system features.
Characteristics and Description
- The civil registers vary from handwritten paragraphs to typed forms with handwritten data. Although the time period for this project is 1851–1900, older records will appear in some of the batches. All of these records are to be indexed.
- Most of the records are in Dutch; however, some records may be in French. If you are not comfortable with these records, return them for other indexers who may understand the French.
- This project includes three types of records (birth, marriage, and death). Different forms were sometimes used for records of the same type.
- While record forms generally follow the same format for a given time period, some may not have spaces defined for each indexing field. You will need to read each record carefully to find the information for the fields.
- Most records begin with the date of the record.
- Each batch includes two images, with up to 12 records per image.
- Records may span two images.
- Project instructions (for this project)
- General indexing instructions (for all projects)
- Field helps (a printable list of all field helps)
- Project updates (current information and questions and answers about this project, updated as needed)
- Getting help—These instructions address the most common situations you will encounter as you index this project. If you have additional questions that are not answered here, you may contact Jean Huysmans:
- The completed index will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published. The digital images will be accessible to active FamilySearch account holders once an authentication system is put in place on Record Search. Until authentication is available, the images will not be accessible.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- This project will be indexed by volunteers invited and selected by the National Archive of Brussels. If you would like to participate, contact the project administrator, Jean Huysmans, by e-mail at email@example.com.
- After you have registered and been approved by the project administrator, sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list of partner projects. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.