Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to these instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Language for Project Instructions
- The indexing field names, the field helps, and the project instructions are available in German and English. To change the language:
- In the menu at the top of the indexing screen, click Tools.
- Click Options.
- Click the Language tab.
- Click in the Language for Field Names and Language for Field Help and Project Instructions boxes, and select the preferred option.
- Close the data entry screen, and reopen the batch for the change to take effect.
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or locality is written with a character not on your keyboard, such as the á in István or the Š and é in Štépan, please insert the character by clicking on the Enter special international characters icon (which is a square with an "ñ" in it) and selecting the character you want to insert, or:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click on the letter you want to insert.
Number of Records per Image
- Be sure to examine the entire image for records. Most images in this project show just one population card. But some images show two or more. If the image shows more than one document or card, you will likely need to add records in the data entry area.
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. If an image has more than one record, you will need to add enough records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
German Handwriting Help
- These records are handwritten. The following resources may help you decipher challenging words: