Project Home Page
About This Project
This project contains population records for individual residents of Vienna, Austria. The population forms have fields for names, birth dates and places, marital status, old and new places of residence, and dates of arrival and departure. Occasionally, the names of spouse and children are listed on the forms. Most records range from 1890 to 1925. The forms shown in this project are in German, and most of the names are Austrian names. But many people from the Austro-Hungarian empire and Eastern Europe passed through Vienna, and these records include the names of people from many places in the empire and surrounding countries.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and comfortable using various system features.
Characteristics and Description
- Most records were handwritten on preprinted forms.
- Most records are population cards, but some other forms besides population cards are included in this project.
- Batches typically contain 10 images.
- Each image usually contains one record.
- No highlights are available for this project.
German Handwriting Help
- These records are handwritten. The following resources may help you decipher challenging words:
- Except for personal information regarding individuals born within the last 115 years, the completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.