Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Sample Images to Be Indexed
Sample Images NOT to Be Indexed
What is Unique About This Project
- Census takers sometimes inscribed information about households and businesses or corporations on the same page.
- Only index information inscribed about households. Do not index information about businesses or corporations.
- If a census page contains a mix of households and businesses, the households should be indexed and the businesses skipped.
- If a census page contains only businesses and no households, the image should be marked as a No Extractable Data Image.
Characteristics and Description
- Records were handwritten on preprinted forms.
- All census returns follow the same format.
- Batches will include a single image.
- Captured images show up to two pages with 24 lines per page. Remember to scroll to the right to index records on the second page.
Highlighting and Using the Ruler
- Because of the many different forms found in this project, highlights are not available. You may use the ruler instead to follow a record across an image.
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that it is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To use the ruler:
- In the menu bar, click View.
- Click Show Ruler.
- You can move the ruler and adjust its width. To do this:
- Position the mouse pointer over the ruler bar. When the pointer turns into a four-pointed arrow, click and hold the left mouse button while you move your mouse to drag the ruler to a new location on the screen.
- To adjust the width of the ruler, position the mouse pointer at the top or bottom edge of the ruler bar. When the pointer turns into a two-pointed arrow, click and hold the left mouse button, and then move your mouse up or down to change the width of the ruler.
Number of Records per Image
- The project is set at 48 records per image. Captured images will show up to two pages with 24 lines per page. Remember to scroll to the right to index records on the second page.
- You may need to add entry lines in the data entry area when twins or multiple people were written on the same line. To add entry lines:
- In the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- Occasionally, there will be blank entry lines within the census. Select Ctrl+B to mark empty entry lines, such as those of uninhabited houses, as blank. Do not enter the Number of Housholder's Schedule.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or locality is written with a character not on your keyboard, such as the "ó" in Nicoló, please insert the character by clicking on the Enter special international characters icon (a square with an "ñ" in it) and selecting the character you want to insert, or:
- In the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click the letter you want to insert.
- Many of these records are handwritten. The handwriting resource on the data entry screen may help you decipher the handwriting.
- To access this resource, click the Handwriting Help icon (an inkwell with an orange feather quill).