Project Home Page
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and comfortable using various system features. It is also helpful if volunteers understand the various documents that relate to births.
Characteristics of This Project
- This project includes records of births.
- The records are on registers and individual certificates.
- Each batch of registers includes one image.
- Each batch of certificates includes up to 20 images.
Description of the Records
- Records were handwritten or typed on preprinted forms.
- This project includes many kinds of records, such as registers, certificates, corrections, affidavits, and certificates of delayed births. Search each record carefully to find the information for each field to be indexed.
- Most registers have records that extend across two pages, but some are complete on a single page.
- Some registers with two-page records were filmed on two images. In these cases, all the information for both pages should be indexed with the first image, and the second image should be marked as No Extractable Data Image.
- Many registers have overlays that cover some of the recorded information. To learn how these images are to be indexed, carefully read the Overlays paragraph in the Project-specific indexing instructions page or on the Project Instructions tab of the indexing program.
- No restrictions are associated with this collection. The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch... button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.