Project Home Page
About This Project
- This project includes marriage records from the Western Cape Archives in Cape Town, South Africa. The records span 1860 to 1962.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your username and password. Then click Download Batch, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and are comfortable using various system features.
Characteristics and Description
- These records are handwritten on preprinted forms or handwritten in paragraph format.
- The records are in Afrikaans, Dutch, and English. If you download a batch in a language that you do not completely know and understand, simply return the batch for someone else to index.
- Each batch includes up to ten images.
- Each image usually has one or two records, or it may show a register or index with up to 50 records.
- The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.