Project Home Page
About This Project
- This project contains death notices, mostly in Afrikaans, from estate files of the Orange Free State area in South Africa. The death notices range from 1951 to 1980. Only documents with headers stating Death Notice or Sterfkennis are to be indexed. Testaments, inventories, letters and so forth should not be indexed.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After registering, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your username and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and are comfortable using various system features.
Characteristics and Description
- Each image usually contains one death record, but all names on each record should be indexed.
- The records are handwritten or typed on preprinted forms.
- There are up to five images per batch.
- There are two record types per batch, Deceased and Relative.
- Records are usually in Afrikaans, with a few in English.
- The general public can freely access the completed index and links to digital images online once the collection is published.