Project Home Page
About This Project
- This project contains death notices, mostly in Afrikaans, from estate files of the Orange Free State area in South Africa. The death notices range from 1951 to 1980.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After registering, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for new volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Characteristics and Description
- Each image usually contains one death record.
- The records are handwritten or typed on preprinted forms.
- There are five images per batch.
- Records are usually in Afrikaans with a few in English.
- The general public can freely access the completed index and links to digital images online once the collection is published.